The Corum Bubble is an oversized watch with a playful, radical design boasting an impressive extra-large sapphire crystal dome. It was born in 2000 as Corum was owned and managed by late Severin Wunderman. After a few years of absence, it was back a couple of years ago (Baselworld 2015) with one of the important ingredients that made its success: numerous, bold limited editions! Today, we take a look at one of the most daring models, the Corum Bubble Shark Mono-pusher Chronograph – certainly a hate or love piece.
At Baselworld 2018, Corum unveiled several new versions of the model, including limited edition mono-pusher chronographs. Among these is the ‘shark’ version we are reviewing today.
The first ‘shark’ bubbles were introduced in 2004. The 2018 version is a mono-pusher chronograph housed in a PVD-titanium case. 47 mm in diameter, it is definitely not for the faint-hearted – even though it wears surprisingly well for a watch of such proportions. The dial of the Corum Bubble Shark Mono-Pusher Chronograph features a striking shark-head, jaws wide open. The rhodium-plated hour and minute hands are openwork while the small seconds and chronograph minutes are ‘propellers’. The date appears in the mouth of the shark at 6 o’clock.
Inside is the automatic calibre CO 771 based on the tried and tested Valjoux 7750 reworked into a single push-piece chronograph with La Joux-Perret. Running at 28,800 vibrations per hour, it can store up to 55 hours of power reserve. Turning the watch over, it is visible through the exhibition sapphire back. Engraved with the brand’s logo, the rotor features a black finish matching the dark look of the watch.
The Corum Bubble Shark Mono-Pusher Chronograph is worn on a black rubber strap embossed with red ‘Corum key’ logos. It is secured with a PVD-steel pin buckle.
Like all Bubbles, it won’t appeal to everyone, there is a lot going on but this is what the Bubble is about and this is why it is compelling. It is different and it really stands out with its bold, quirky design. And the way it has been turned into a chronograph with its mono-pusher configuration works great. Price is set at CHF 6,900. For more information, please visit www.corum-watches.com.
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Minute Repeater (Hands-On)
- On – TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 01 Manchester United Special Edition (Specs & Price)
- On – Anonimo Militare Chronograph WRC Special Edition (Specs & Price)
- IWC Portugieser Chronograph Classic Bucherer Blue Editions Red Gold IW3903 (Specs & Price)
- Louis Moinet SpaceWalker & Skylink – Celebrating Russian Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov
- The Blancpain Villeret Squelette 8 jours Deconstructed by “The Naked Watchmaker”
- Hamilton Khaki Field Day-Date 42mm “Camouflage” Automatic (Price)
- Hautlence HL Vagabonde 01: Wandering Digital Hours on a B&W Screen
- Tudor North Flag M91210N (Live Photos, Specs & Price)
- On – Fortis Aeromaster Mission Timer Chronograph (Specs & Price)