Skeletonised watches — where the solid dial, and in some cases the entire movement, has been pared down and stripped away to leave the bare bones of the architecture — can be something of an acquired taste. And, as with all watches, the look can vary greatly, from ultra traditional to modern, depending on the execution. But at their heart, skeleton watches allow you to see more of your watch, exposing the complicated beauty to the wider world. Here are six of the best skeleton watches we’ve seen this year.
Panerai L’Astronomo Luminor 1950 Tourbillon Moon Phases Equation of Time
Let’s kick things off with one of the big dogs of SIHH: the Panerai L’Astronomo Luminor 1950 Tourbillon Moon Phases Equation of Time. Epic name, epic watch. Believe it or not, this is the first time Panerai has ever made a moon phase watch. But, as you can see, this is so much more than that, with an intricate, exceptional tourbillon and detail for days.
Raymond Weil Freelancer Calibre RW1212
A little simpler, but no less skeletonised than the Panerai, is Raymond Weil’s latest take on their RW1212, a movement they’re justifiably proud of, and clearly keen to show off to its best advantage.
TAG Heuer Carrera Chronograph GMT Heuer 02
The aggressively modern styling of this Carrera has become something of a staple at TAG Heuer over the last few years, but now the movement is the impressive Heuer 02, and there’s even a GMT in the mix.
Bulgari Octo Finissimo Squelette Titanium
Squelette. It’s Swiss for skeleton. And when it comes to the Octo Finissimo there wasn’t a lot of fat to remove from the bones of this watch, but, gosh, is it beautiful.
Zenith Defy Classic Skeleton
Zenith is all about the Defy this year, and while there’s lots of versions on offer, this Classic Skeleton, with its attractive star motif, is, well, one of the star entrants.
Franck Muller Vanguard S6 Yachting
Franck Muller has form with skeletonised watches, as the bold geometry of this Vanguard goes to show. Skeletonised watches are rarely subtle, and Franck Muller definitely leans into the boldness.
- VIDEO: Confused by the ever-expanding TAG Heuer Carrera collection? Chris Hemsworth is here to help
- LIST: Auction madness – 6 watches you could have bought at the Jerry Lewis estate sale for less than $10k
- OPINION: There are 3 types of watch wearers, which one are you?
- EDITOR’S PICK: The seafaring origins of the Franck Muller Yachting collection
- INTRODUCING: This one has the time, now all you need is the jet – the Franck Muller Vanguard World Timer GMT
- VIDEO: The Zenith Defy El Primero 21 – a cutting-edge chronograph
- VIDEO: Old meets new in the Rado HyperChrome Bronze
- INTRODUCING: Blancpain makes a splash with the Fifty Fathoms Ocean Commitment III
- EDITOR’S PICK: GMTs are dynamite in 2018! Here are some of the best
- INSIGHT: Smart money – 6 expert takes on the best value watches to buy right now