The mode of reading time from the watch is an individual preference. Digital and jump-hour watches show it straight through the numbers; the analogs with hands pointing to the numbers on the dial*. Our discussion centers upon those pointers – to be precise – it is about the various shapes they come in. (*There are also the chiming types, the hourglasses; candle- and water-clocks, but those are not something you will wear on upon your wrist.)
Now, building up an exhaustive list of all the shapes is well…exhausting; besides, there ain’t so much of space. But knowing the most used styles and what they are integral to can make you a proud owner of one without spending a ton!
The simpler types:
In this context, Breguete comes up first. The nickname is ‘pomme ’ which, is apple in French. It’s the distinctive round hoop near the tip responsible but Breguet hands bring an indelible imprint of the late 18th century to the watches they are used. The 1783 designed, slim, sleek hands were instant successes without being large and heavily decorated to hinder a comfortable reading of time. Breguet streamlined the hands to meet both functional and aesthetic demands, even if the design or mechanism of the rest of the watch is uncompromisingly new. The eccentric, hollowed-out fashion of Breguet represents extreme delicacy exhibiting an irresistible elegance. Close to it are the Fleur-de-Lys hands showing a decoration with a stylized Lily (a commonly used symbol in heraldry) that can be found on many of the European Coat of Arms. Even the French Royalty used this symbol.
We’ll speak about the more ornamental types like Cathedral and Mercedes hands; the Plongeur – mostly found in classic military and sports watches where large hour hands and slender minute hands are a priority, but until then….
Watch(es) mentioned in this post are listed below. Click to see details and buy them:
Please follow and like us:
- Fossil Watches On Sale – Additional 8% discount code inside!!! – Mad About Watches
- Newsletter : Stuhrling Original Watches on Sale! Additional 10% discount code inside!!!
- Casio G-Shock Tough Solar Radio Controlled MTG-S1000D-1A Men’s Watch| Go anywhere with it – Mad About Watches
- TAG Heuer Formula 1 Chronograph Tachymeter Automatic CAZ2011.FT8024 Men’s Watch| A fantastic sports watch for a daily, casual life – Mad About Watches
- Newsletter : Nixon Watches On Sale – Coupon Code Inside!!
- Orient Watches on Sale – Additional 5% Discount Coupon Code Inside!!! – Mad About Watches
- In pursuit of Haute, high-speed horology – Mad About Watches
- 12.12 Sale – Up to 85% off on that perfect watch!! – Mad About Watches
- Casio G-Shock Mudmaster Triple Sensor GWG-1000-1AJF GWG1000-1AJF Men’s Watch| The toughest Mudmaster so far! – Mad About Watches
- The less-famous classic from Orient – Mad About Watches